I've been cleaning my apartment, slowly. I sure have accumulated a lot of crap, including notes for blog posts that got buried deeper and deeper in piles of other crap. I've got a paper-clipped stack of sheets from an old Moleskine notebook - the annotations are few, the writing sometimes cryptic. But if I wrote down where I was and what I ate, that probably means that I liked the restaurant. Without further commentary, then, here goes.
Proof on Main, Louisville, KY
- Dinner sometime in 2010
- Roast chicken
- Corn and garlic soup
- Braised greens
- Stewed okra and tomatoes
- A Pimms cocktail (Wicker Park?)
- Associated notes: "The battle of what to count"; Finley's BBQ
Incanto, San Francisco
- How in the world did I neglect to write about this place? A paradise for people who prefer pork. Ate there with college classmate Sue and her husband, probably in 2010 as well.
Mystery location, cocktail made of:
- Laird's applejack
- Bols genever
- toasted lager
- Dinner on 2010 with my family. I don't think my parents liked what they had. I was pretty happy with my dish.
- Dinner in 2012 with high school classmates. Feeling jet lagged, I nearly nodded off between courses.
- With my colleague Jon, early 2010
- Smoked Spanish mackeral with apple griddle cakes with walnuts
- Pork tongue salad with local arugula and fried capers
- Our waiter / server discusses the process they used to develop the pork tongue salad; we were among the first customers to try it. Thumbs up!
- On the same trip as the Herbsaint meal, also dining with Jon; we ate at the counter to avoid a wait - great fun watching the kitchen staff
- Onion and grits casserole
- Cucumbers in vinegars (yeah, plural)
- Oysters and bacon sandwich (my head reels!)
- Spicy ribs w/ watermelon pickle (need more of the wmelon pickle)
- Pate amuse bouche
- Sazerac (a little obvious)
- Champagne, Creole 3 (? illegible), and grapefruit juice
- I have crappy, dim photos somewhere, but can't be bothered to post them now
Hukilau Lanai, Kauai
- New Year's Eve 2010 (i.e., 12/31/09) with my sister and her boyfriend
- Super ono! I was surprised at how tasty it was
- Ahi poke nachos
- Warabi (sp? fiddle head ferns), pickled and sausage
- Portugese bean soup
- Opah with shrimp risotto
- Opakapaka with brussel sprouts and purple potatoes
- Mixed grill: hebi (spear fish), butterfish, and shrimp
- Creme brulee
- Drinks: Lillet blanc; loco lemonade; Keoki dark
- A note that says "see also back," but I don't see anything relevant
Royal Garden @ Ala Moana, Honolulu
- This is the high end dim sum place my family goes to when other relatives or visitors are in town. Quite good stuff.
- On this trip in early 2010, I made special note of the "crispy pork with fermented bean sauce." Ooh.
Really? It's taken me 2 1/2 years to post these scribblings? Wow. I've really got to my act together. At least all these restaurants are still in business. Go. Eat.