More puttering and cleaning of the apartment on this Labor Day weekend, and more items to add to the blog. Here we go.
Strip House, Manhattan
- Terrific steaks, excellent service; unnecessarily contrived theme.
- Might have been the last time more than 3 of my grad school classmates were able to get together.
- Might have also been the last meeting of the Beefeaters Club. (It's not hard to get NYers together; it's hard to get them to commit when a date is set!)
Mad for Chicken, Manhattan Koreatown
- Fantastic Korean fried chicken. Droool.
- Met my former co-worker Nick there for a long lunch. Loved the food, delayed blogging about it, and then forgot the name of the place. All I could remember was that it was on the second floor and was associated with a music venue / jazz club.
- Went back by chance several years later for one in a series of going away eating outings for my former co-worker Arnold. The original place people wanted to try turned out to be too snooty, so we went to MFC instead. Must go back soon. Now I've got the name written down!
The PIg and the Lady, Honolulu
- Went to their stall at the KCC Farmer's Market; haven't been to their restaurant.
- Grilled skewers of ground pork wrapped in betel leaves. Why had this awesome deliciousness been denied me for so many years???
- Mario Batali's dad's establishment. I'd been trying to go there for several years, but the timing never worked out. Finally made it last year with my college friend Russ.
- Worth the wait. Long line, but it moved fast. We also got there on the early side.
- I'm not a sandwich fan, but this really moved me. So much salumi, so little time.
Kenny and Zuke's Delicatessen, Portland, OR
- Big ol' breakfast. I think this was the pastrami hash. Yum. Gives you lotsa energy to wander the aisles of Powell's.
More to follow!