A quick list of things I did in Austin in December 2012 during my 12 waking hours in the city proper, after finishing a work-related meeting at the Travaasa Austin (FYI, had a nice quail appetizer there).
- Checked into the Hotel San Jose.
- Grabbed a Frito pie for lunch at Jo's next door.
- Enjoyed a tasty michelada in the hotel courtyard (thanks to my former colleague Erika for tipping me off to this).
- An hour later, enjoyed another tasty michelada in the company of my college classmate Grover, as we conferred about the night's plans.* We hit up the following places:**
- East Side Showroom
- Donn's Depot - I LOVE this place. Can I live here?
- Deep Eddy Cabaret
- Texas Chili Parlour
- The Continental Club
- Hmm. I didn't have dinner. I realize this when I wake up very hungry and woozy about 5 hours later. Thankfully, the South Congress Cafe is just a few blocks away. (H/t to another former colleague, Cristin, for this recommendation.) I get coffee, another michelada (just can't resist, need to try as many versions as possible), and a delectable smoked brisket hash with nice runny eggs.
As I eat very, very slowly and carefully, I try not to stare at the guy in the booth in front of me. I think he looks like Elmore Leonard, but then I'm not sure I know what Elmore Leonard actually looks like.
- I walk back to the hotel very, very slowly and pack up reluctantly.
* I also have Grover to thank for this itinerary on my 2011 visit - Icenhauer's, Clive Bar, Deep Eddy Cabaret, Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon, and the Gallery at the Continental Club. I see why people love Austin.
** Oops, I forgot to add this item - checking out the Christmas tree at Zilker Park. The backstory of Austin's moonlight towers made this extra interesting.